I woke up this morning, to Daniel saying, "Sarah, we are out of oil! What should I do?" I was alarmed, but the warm bed pulled me back to sleep for another hour. When I woke up Daniel said he called all the oil companies in our area and they were all closed on Sundays. Maybe they will be opened tomorrow? I don't know it is a holiday. How did this happen? I wasn't going to let this happen. I watched the gauge on the oil tank very carefully...at first, and the oil really didn't seem to be going anywhere too fast. When I was researching oil when we first moved in, I was told we would need two or more tanks to get through the winter. I didn't believe it. Especially, after the first month with the oil gauge not seemingly moving much at all. The last time I checked it, it was 1/2 full. When was that??? I can't remember, maybe before the blizzard of 2008.
I had just been thinking this weekend, how it is strange that I can withstand the cold temperature we keep the house at. I would always complain when I was at my parents house...they keep it so cold. Why would anyone suffer through such cold in their own home!! Even when I had been paying my own heating bill for years, I still thought, "I am never going to live like that. I am going to have a warm house." Well, after spending $600 dollars in the beginning of November to fill up our oil tank (that bought us about 1/2 a tank, there was already about a 1/4 in there when we bought it), I was okay with no heat at night and five blankets on the bed. And I was okay with not using the heat during the day while I worked, but instead having a little space heater in my office. Maybe someone broke into the basement and siphoned the oil out of the tank. I just don't understand how it disappeared all the sudden.
An old house, no insulation, and an old oil furnace......oh boy. I told Daniel insulation was a priority!!! Needless to say, it is cold in the house. Daniel said, "It's okay, you just have to keep moving." Well, I better go start moving a little more to warm up.
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I just went back and read this post. Isn't fuel oil a pain in the butt? I never appreciated having gas or electric. They just worked. No watching the tank. No ordering oil. No worrying when you accidentally run too low... will they come with my oil before I run out?!
Post a Comment