Saturday, June 11, 2011

Home Sweet Home

This blog started a couple years ago when we moved and bought our first house...this wonderful house we live in. There were lots of house updates on the blog, but in the last year another star has taken over and gets the most air time - our son. About two months ago, in April, we had the second phase of our kitchen remodel done, and by far the most exciting phase. Our old house had shorter than standard and narrower than standard kitchen counters. So even though my aunt had given us her previous dishwasher (which is perfectly wonderful), it sat in the basement, or "base" as Melke says, for two years until new cabinets and counter would allow it to fit. Yes!!! A dishwasher and a garbage disposal! It is very exciting! We kept the wall cabinets, because they seem perfectly fine to me and I like the old world charm, so we just got floor/base cabinets, counter (more than before - yippee more counter place!), electrical and plumbing work, a few more electrical outlets, dishwasher, garbage disposal, and faucet. During the process and for the first weeks after the project was completed, I would cheer and clap every time I went into the kitchen. This meant that for awhile Melkamu would also cheer and clap upon entering the kitchen, it was pretty cute.

As an inexpensive counter top solution, we decided to use wood. There is still another wall in the future that will get base cabinets and counters, so I didn't want to get something more expensive as of yet. We'll wait until we do the whole thing. But, I had nightmares about the wood counter for a long time...you have to really take care of it. And the way my kitchen runs and my cook operates...oh boy. I was sure it would be a disaster, but so far so good. I really love the way it looks and adds lots of warmth to the area.


Before


I was a little sad the night before the work started...saying good-bye to
Great Grandma's kitchen. It turns out I don't miss it.


Disgusting sink. It came this way.
No amount of bleach and scrubbing ever made a difference.


Under construction.




Awww, it's like a breath of fresh air.





Writing this post, I realize I don't have any pictures of the project completely done. I'll have to go clean the kitchen and snap some pictures.


1 comment:

Melanie said...

Love the new sink and countertops! Congratulations on such an exciting thing!