Sunday, June 26, 2011

Melkamu Goes to Montana

Although this blog post is dated in June, when I started it, it is now August. I do this too often. I start a post and then don't finish it for weeks or a month or more. At the end of the day, the last thing I want to do is get on the computer. I am on the computer all day at work, and then I chase Melke around until his bedtime and then I just want to sit still and not be on the computer. So...my blog suffers. I almost sent out some individual e-mails with pictures to people the past few days and then realized I just need to update my blog so people can get their Melkamu fix.

And so, Melkamu goes to Montana. In mid-June, we had a nice vacation to Montana to visit Daniel's family. It was the first time Melkamu met his great grandma. He had a great time at her house and it was the first time I heard him say the word "animals", which came out something like "aminals", when he was playing with some toys at Bina's house. After a few days at Daniel's grandmother's we headed to his parents and had a great time there, as well. Melkamu got to take his first camping trip and stayed in grandma and grandpa's trailer with them , while Daniel and I stayed in tents. (Yes plural, the one tent was too small for both of us.) There was a momma and baby moose in the campground that we saw several times during our short camping trip. When I put Melkamu to bed that night, he was saying "moof", for moose of course, and he was still talking about the "moof" in the morning when he woke up. We camped outside of Yellowstone. One day all five of us went into the park. Melkamu got to see several buffalo and also learned to say "buffo". The next day, Daniel's parents took Melke for the day and Daniel and I went into the park by ourselves. That was nice. Who knew it could be so fun just the two of us, like the old days. We definitely need to do that more often. On the way home we were even able to stop and have a nice, quiet dinner together.

We were pretty worried about the 10 hour car drive with the boy, but he did rather well. We did it in two days and tried to time driving around times that he would be sleeping (naps, nighttime) and when he was awake we took nice long breaks at playgrounds and parks and had picnics ready. It actually worked out fairly well.

We all had a great time in Montana and we were all spoiled by Daniel's parents (as usual).


Melkamu Meets Bina:



Climbing to the "M" at the top of the hill:


"M" for Melkamu, or is it Montana

Daniel said Melke was saying "ought oh, ought oh" from the backpack as they were descending this very steep part of the trail.


Father's Day:
Daniel is a great father.
Melkamu adores him and just can't get enough of his daddy's silly antics.


Fathers and Sons


No comments: